This document describes libxml, the XML C library developed for the Gnome project. XML is a standard for building tag-based
Here are some key points about libxml:
- Libxml exports Push (progressive) and Pull (blocking) type parser
interfaces for both XML and HTML.
- Libxml can do DTD validation at parse time, using a parsed document
instance, or with an arbitrary DTD.
- Libxml includes complete XPath, XPointer and XInclude implementations.
- It is written in plain C, making as few assumptions as possible, and
sticking closely to ANSI C/POSIX for easy embedding. Works on
Linux/Unix/Windows, ported to a number of other platforms.
- Basic support for HTTP and FTP client allowing applications to fetch
- The design is modular, most of the extensions can be compiled out.
- The internal document representation is as close as possible to the DOM interfaces.
- Libxml also has a SAX
like interface; the interface is designed to be compatible with Expat.
- This library is released under the MIT
License. See the Copyright file in the distribution for the precise
Warning: unless you are forced to because your application links with a
Gnome-1.X library requiring it, Do Not Use libxml1, use