Subject: Re: adding new messages to prior hypermail archive

From: "Gordon H. Buchan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2000 10:13:10 -0400

At 01:24 AM 9/25/98 -0400, Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason wrote:
>
>I archived some 460 messages from a mailbox with Hypermail 1.02 about 3
>years ago.  Now I want to use hypermail 2.03b to process a new mailbox
>and add the messages to the prior archive.  I've tested 2.03b on the new
>mailbox, and it works fine when I give it an empty directory in which to
>create a new hypermail archive.  However, when I point it at the
>directory with the prior 460-message archive, it changes the date stamp
>on the index files to today, but it doesn't append the 65 new messages
>to the archive.
>
>As far as I can see, the default behavior is supposed to be to append
>messages to an existing archive.  I'm not using the -u or -x flags. 
>Suggestions?

With a slight modification (removal of the -x switch, since this is to
append, not replace), here is one of my batch files. Change paths and
parameters to match your environment.

/home/gordon/bin/hypermail \
-b "http://cusidnet.anadas.com/" \
-a "http://cusidnet.anadas.com/" \
-m "/home/gordon/mail/cusid" \
-l "CUSIDnet Web Mirror" \
-d "/home/gordon/www/cusidnet/fall2000/" \
-c "/home/gordon/bin/.cusidnethyprc" > /dev/null

Note 1: /home/gordon/mail/cusid is a standard UNIX mail folder.
Note 2: /home/gordon/www/cusidnet/fall2000 contains an existing hypermail
archive.

----
Gordon H. Buchan
Technical Writer
Matrox Networks / Matrox Electronic Systems
email:  [email-masked]          1055 St-Regis Blvd.
voice:  +1 (514) 685-7230 x2523     Dorval, Quebec
fax:    +1 (514) 822-6272           Canada H9P 2T4
http://www.matrox.com/networks