Subject: Re: adding new messages to prior hypermail archive

From: "Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2000 21:17:21 -0400

Charles and Gordon offered helpful suggestions.  However, I think there
is a problem.

Here is what I'm trying to do: I have an existing Hypermail archive
(from 1.02) with 467 messages already in it.  I do *NOT* have the
original mailbox file for it.  

I now have 65 new messages in a mailbox that I want to add.

I've tried a standard run, as Gordon suggested (those are Gordon's
paths):

/home/gordon/bin/hypermail \
-b "http://cusidnet.anadas.com/" \
-a "http://cusidnet.anadas.com/" \
-m "/home/gordon/mail/cusid" \
-l "CUSIDnet Web Mirror" \
-d "/home/gordon/www/cusidnet/fall2000/" \
-c "/home/gordon/bin/.cusidnethyprc" > /dev/null

That had the following result: The new index files overwrote the
existing index files, and showed the information for the 65 *new*
messages but no listings for the 467 original messages.  However, the
archive in fact contained the 467 html files for the original messages,
but did *not* contain files for any of the new messages.  (Click on New
#1 in the index, and it goes to file 0000.html which is Old #1.)

Then I tried what Charles suggested: I inserted 467 "dummy" messages in
my mailbox file so that Hypermail could count down those and only add
the "new" messages.  That *almost* worked.  The message files were
correctly created: an addition 65 nnnn.html files were added to the
archive.  However, the original 467 message entries in the index were
overwritten with the header information from the 467 dummy messages.  So
my index files are now useless....

The (filler added here to make the line 40+ chars) two hyphen-
ated words in the original verision of this sentence should have no spaces in-
serted where the hyphens were.

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Hall)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2000 21:45:27 -0400

Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason wrote:
> 
> Then I tried what Charles suggested...  However, the original 467 message
> entries in the index were overwritten with the 467 dummy messages.  So

Ouch! I hope you can recover from this. I didn't realize. Sorry.

>serted where the hyphens were.

This message should be formatted adequately if set_showhtml = 2. Expect
many problems if set_showhtml = 1.

        Test the ability of set_showhtml = 2 to handle tables 
     column1           column2            column3
 =====================================================================
        1                 2                  3
       one               two               three
        1                                    3

 The columns above should be centered under the appropriate 'u'.
 ---------------------------------------------------------
 You should see a horizontal rule above.

1. This should look like a list item numbered one.
2. This should look like a list item numbered two.
   - first line of a sublist entry, filler added here
     to make it longer than a single line.
         * a sublist nested a 2nd level deep.
         * a sublist nested a 2nd level deep.
   - closing the singly nested list
3. This should look like a list item numbered three of the outer list.

leftmost left left | There should be vertical |
left aligned in    | bars aligned on either   | right
tabular format.    | side of me.              |

The second and last words of this sentence should have carets (^'s) under them.
    ^^^^^^                                                                ^^^^

!!THIS LINE SHOULD BE SURROUNDED BY STRONG TAGS BECAUSE IT IS ALL UPPER CASE!!

oooooooo           line these up
.....              with these up